My lively, interactive presentations at your school include:
A combination of fun, interactive large group assemblies and/or classroom visits. Meeting a living author/illustrator in person makes a big impression on children.
When I share my cultural background and reveal the various phases of a picture
book's evolution, students get inspired to harness their creativity and tell their own stories!
Here's a sample of my day's schedule at your school:
(actual schedule will be flexible, according to your needs)
3 Assemblies (one at 30 minutes, two at 45 minutes each)
Lunch with the teachers
2 Classroom visits (30 minutes each)
I autograph and personalize books you've purchased.
My fun, interactive assemblies are popular with kids of all ages and backgrounds. Teachers like them, too! In my PowerPoint slideshow, I highlight my Cuban-American background, as well as my process of illustrating and my inspiration for writing my bilingual picture books. After the slideshow, I do a lively, interactive drawing demo, featuring characters from my books. Finally, I do a raffle of the two oversized drawings.
I involve student volunteers at key points in my presentations.
In a more personal, small group setting, students and teachers have an opportunity to ask me questions and see original artwork from my books. In these low-tech presentations (no PowerPoint), I do a read aloud of one of my books, I share the three stages of making a picture book from the illustrator's perspective (here I show a book dummy and original paintings), and finally, I do a lively, interactive drawing demo featuring characters from the book. The classroom sessions can include up to two classes at a time.
My after-hours presentation at your school includes a PowerPoint slideshow or a read aloud of one of my books, combined with a show-and-tell of my original artwork and book dummies, depending on the group size and your preference. As always, I do my interactive drawing demo, followed by a raffle of two oversized drawings. (You provide cookies and milk!)
*Laura's presentations can be in English, Spanish, or a combination of the two.
Laura is available for school, library, bookstore, conference, and book fair presentations. She is also available for virtual visits via Skype!
- January 30: Agnes Smith Elementary School, Huntington Beach, CA
- January 30: Huntington Beach Author's Festival, Central Library, Huntington Beach, CA
- February 17: Women, Mujeres, Ixoq: Revolutionary Visions, Book Launch, Paramount, CA
- March 25: Women, Mujeres, Ixoq: Revolutionary Visions, Self-Help Graphics, East Los Angeles, CA
- April 20: San Gabriel Elementary School, South Gate, CA
- May 26: Eagle Rock Library (LAPL), Los Angeles, CA
- June 28: Pico Union Library (LAPL), Los Angeles, CA
- July 10: Cahuenga Library (LAPL), Los Angeles, CA
- July 31: Wilshire Library (LAPL), Wilmington, CA
View Past Presentations